#19 MHKY Travels to #6 Notre Dame for B1G Series
Nov. 9, 2017
Friday during 7:35 p.m. | Saturday during 5:30 p.m.
COMPTON FAMILY ICE ARENA | SOUTH BEND, Ind.
SOUTH BEND, Ind. – No. 19 Penn State hits a highway again following a six-game homestand for a front finish of back-to-back transport weeks as they revisit sixth-ranked Notre Dame for a essential Big Ten Conference array this weekend in South Bend.
THIS WEEK’S MATCHUP
- 19 Penn State resumes discussion play by roving to South Bend to conflict sixth-ranked Notre Dame on Friday and Saturday dusk during 7:35 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., respectively.
- This outlines a initial time a dual schools will accommodate as Big Ten discussion opponents and a fifth and sixth time they will accommodate overall. Penn State reason a 2-1-1 all-time advantage and are 1-0-1 in South Bend.
- The Nittany Lions skated to a 3-3 overtime pull and degraded a Fighting Irish 3-2 in overtime during final year’s array during Compton Family Ice Arena.
- With a No. 3 inhabitant ranking final season, Notre Dame stays a tip ranked competition Penn State has degraded in a five-plus seasons as a Division we program.
- Junior Alec Marsh leads a Nittany Lions with 4 points opposite a Irish on 3 goals and one support in 4 games played. He is a usually stream member to have mixed goals opposite Notre Dame in his career. Junior Andrew Sturtz scored a game-winning thought 80 seconds into a additional event final season.
SCOUTING NOTRE DAME
- The Fighting Irish enter their initial deteriorate as an associate member of a Big Ten for 2017-18 after advancing to a Frozen Four final deteriorate in their final year as a member of Hockey East.
- Notre Dame finished a 2016-17 debate during 23-12-5 altogether after descending to contingent National Champion Denver in a Frozen Four.
- The Irish lapse 8 of their top-10 scorers from final deteriorate including 5 players who scored 10-plus goals led by Andrew Oglevie’s 21. Even with all that fire-power returning, Notre Dame will have a new demeanour as they are though a services of heading scorer Anders Bjork (21-31-52) and goaltender Cal Petersen (.926 save percentage, 2.22 goals against) who any opted to pointer early NHL deals following their youth seasons.
- Notre Dame is led so distant this deteriorate by Jake Evans with 4 goals and 14 assists for 18 points. Both his 14 assists and 18 points lead a nation. The Irish are also led by a span of defensemen in Jordan Gross and Bobby Nardella who have collected 12 and 10 points, respectively.
- Between a pipes a span of net-minders have had early deteriorate success led by reigning Big Ten Second Star of a Week Cale Morris who has posted a 5-1 record with a .925 save commission and a 2.22 goals opposite average. Dylan St. Cyr has also been stellar so distant this deteriorate branch in a .914 save commission and a 3.22 goals opposite average.
- The Irish arrange right behind Penn State in goals with 36 so distant this deteriorate including an eye-popping 18 in a second duration after usually 5 goals during a opening 20 mins so distant this season. Notre Dame’s 3.60 goals per diversion ranks second in a Big Ten and ninth in a country.
- Notre Dame now leads a Big Ten with a 25.7 percent power-play, good for tops in a Big Ten while their PK ranks third in a discussion and 22nd in a republic during 83.3 percent.
- The Irish swept Ohio State on a highway final weekend, 4-1 and 3-2, in their first-ever Big Ten Conference series. Notre Dame was usually 4-8-1 opposite Big Ten Teams over a past 4 seasons given a discussion was determined before a 2013-14 season.
- Freshman Cole Hults has purebred during slightest one indicate in a career-high 8 true contests and his 11 points (two goals, 9 assists) now arrange tied for second in a Big Ten among defensemen and third in a republic while his 9 assists place him tops in a discussion and tied for second in a republic among blue-liners.
- Hults’ 11 points also arrange 18th altogether and are a many by a beginner in a republic possibly brazen or defense. Last deteriorate Denis Smirnov led a whole republic in beginner scoring with 47 points.
- Hults’ eight-game point-streak is also tied for a module record by a defenseman set final deteriorate by Trevor Hamilton. The all-time module record for a point-streak is 10 games hold by both Smirnov and David Goodwin ‘17, any set final season.
HAPPY VALLEY HAT-TRICK
- Last Saturday comparison James Robinson purebred a fifth hat-trick in Penn State hockey story as he scored a initial 3 goals of a diversion for a Nittany Lions on usually 3 shot attempts.
- Robinson joins David Glen ‘16, Casey Bailey, Tommy Olczyk ‘16 and Denis Smirnov as a usually Nittany Lions to measure 3 goals in a singular game.
- Ironically adequate all 5 Penn State hat-tricks have come on home ice with all though David Glen’s entrance during Pegula Ice Arena. Glen’s was purebred during Greenberg Ice Pavilion during Penn State’s initial NCAA Division we season.
- The 3 goals and 3 points for Robinson are any a career-high and a 7-5 win over Mercyhurst noted his initial career multi-point game.
- Penn State is 4-1 all-time in contests where one of a possess scores a hat-trick. The usually detriment was a 5-4 overtime preference opposite Ohio State during Casey Bailey’s hat-trick night in 2015.
THE LEGEND OF “ANDY VALLEY”
- During a 7-5 feat over Mercyurst final Saturday, youth Andrew Sturtz pennyless 3 module annals while also fluctuating one of his possess module records. He is also now roving a three-game thought streak.
- The youth assisted on a initial 4 goals of a diversion for Penn State and with those 4 helpers set a new single-game support record.
- Sturtz afterwards ripped an empty-net thought from inside his possess blue-line for a 46th of his career flitting Casey Bailey for initial all-time in Penn State history. The thought was also a eighth shorthanded total of his career, that is a module record he already holds.
- The five-point diversion while being a career-high was also a new single-game record for Penn State.
- With 77 career points, Sturtz is now tied with Dylan Richard ‘17 and Eric Scheid ‘16 for third on Penn State’s all-time points list and is usually 3 points bashful of Casey Bailey for second.
- Sturtz’s 6 goals this deteriorate lead a Big Ten and are tied for tenth nationally while his 13 points are good for second in a Big Ten and tied for sixth in a nation.
- Penn State is 27-11 when Sturtz scores a thought including a 4-2 record this season. The Nittany Lions are also 6-2 when he scores mixed goals.
- Sophomore Nikita Pavlychev scored a game-winning thought final Saturday opposite Mercyhurst and is now roving a career-high three-game goal-streak. His three-game point-streak is also a career-high.
- Pavlychev’s 4 goals this deteriorate are good for third on a group and tied for sixth in a Big Ten.
THE FLYING FINN
- Senior Erik Autio has been one of a many unchanging players for conduct manager Guy Gadowsky during his 4 years on campus and this deteriorate is no different. Autio is sixth on a group with 7 points on one thought and 6 assists.
- Autio cumulative his initial thought of a deteriorate final Friday night and it noted a seventh of his career to pierce him into a tie with 3 others, including stream teammate Trevor Hamilton, for fifth on Penn State’s all-time defensemen thought list.
- Autio’s 44 career assists also place him usually one bashful of Luke Juha ‘16 for initial on a Penn State all-time support list for defensemen and third altogether in module assists.
- Having missed usually 6 games his whole career, Autio will pierce into a tie with Kenny Brooks ‘16 for seventh on a Penn State all-time games played list during 120 if he skates in both games this weekend during Notre Dame.
- Sophomore Peyton Jones has started 45 games so distant in his career relocating past Eamon McAdam for a second many in module story by a goaltender. With one some-more coming he will also pierce past McAdam for a second many appearances in Penn State History. He sits behind usually Matthew Skoff ‘16 in both categories.
- Jones’ 28 wins are also usually 4 bashful of restraining Skoff for a many in module story of 32. He is also usually 160 saves behind McAdam for second on a all-time saves list.
- With a slew of injuries in a initial month of a deteriorate Penn State has been forced to variety a lines utterly a bit and Saturday night brought a new tip line of James Robinson, Chase Berger and Andrew Sturtz. However, a thought didn’t come from a coaching staff, though instead was a player’s suggestion.
- The line total for 10 points on 5 goals and 5 assists and were a plus-12 overall. In usually a singular diversion that line is already a third tip scoring multiple so distant this deteriorate for a Nittany Lions.
- After ruinous a module annals for goals, assists and points in a single-season final year, Penn State is once again atop a republic in goals (38), assists (69) and points (107) by a initial 10 games of 2017-18.
- The Nittany Lions are averaging 3.80 goals per game, good for initial in a Big Ten and seventh in a republic after heading all Division we final deteriorate scoring 4.10 thought per contest.
- After an uncharacteristically delayed start to a deteriorate offensively, Penn State is now heading a republic once again in shots on thought averaging 41.30 per competition and 47.84 over a final 6 games. Last deteriorate Penn State set a module record while heading a republic with 44.1 shots on thought per game.
- Penn State stays on a highway as they transport to Arizona State for a initial time in module story for a span of contests opposite a Sun Devils subsequent Friday and Saturday during Gila Arena.
- Penn State is 2-0-0 all-time vs. Arizona State after unconditional a Devils final deteriorate during Pegula Ice Arena. The Nittany Lions outscored ASU 15-4 over a dual games.