The Philadelphia Eagles confirmed a NFL’s best record (6-1), roving 4 Carson Wentz touchdown passes to a 34-24 victory over a Washington Redskins (3-3) in Week 7. Here’s what we schooled in Monday night’s action:
1. Courtesy of back-to-back scintillating performances on inhabitant television, Wentz has announced his attainment as a heading MVP candidate. Featuring dual-threat traits that conjure adult images of a immature Brett Favre or Ben Roethlisberger, Wentz has been an improvisational sorceress braggadocio prototypical size, chosen arm talent and unteachable slot toughness.
After completing only one pass in a initial quarter, Wentz focussed a diversion to his will thereafter, tossing 3 touchdown passes in reduction than 9 mins of diversion time to tighten out a initial half and open a second. He unleashed a beautiful 64-yard scoring explosve to Mack Hollins, showcased enviable hold and correctness with an in-stride 46-yard rainbow to Zach Ertz and played peek-a-boo in a throng of Redskins pass rushers to find Corey Clement for an doubtful 9-yard touchdown. To top off his personal prominence reel, Wentz answered an considerable Kirk Cousins expostulate with an implausible method that featured a Houdini-like shun and scramble, a ideal sideline blur pass to Alshon Jeffery and a read-option scoring strike to Nelson Agholor.
“Very upset” that a multiplication opposition landed a authorization cornerstone in final year’s draft, Redskins manager Jay Gruden recently marveled that Wentz has progressed as fast as any quarterback he’s ever seen. The numbers agree. The NFL’s personality in touchdown passes already has some-more in 7 games this deteriorate (17) than he managed his whole rookie season. After unwell to record a three-touchdown diversion final year, he’s now pulled off a hat-trick in 3 uninterrupted weeks — a attainment unmatched by any Eagles quarterback given Bobby Thomason some-more than 60 years ago.
As manager Doug Pederson forked out final week, Wentz is “on lane to be a special, special quarterback.” It’s easy to see because one hostile NFL conduct coach hailed Wentz as a gridiron christ able of finale a Eagles’ six-decade championship drought.
2. As Philly fans group to speak radio to spread those Super Bowl predictions, they should cruise a inlet of Monday night’s presumably pyrrhic victory. Nine-time Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters was propitious for an atmosphere expel and carted off a margin with a knee injury, leaving Wentz’s blind side in peril maybe for as prolonged as a rest of a season. That heartbreak came dual buliding after a Eagles mislaid center linebacker Jordan Hicks to an ankle injury. Peters and Hicks are dual of a team’s 10 many profitable players.
“The bullseye on a behind becomes bigger,” Pederson pronounced after a diversion about a highway ahead. “It only becomes a plea each week. That’s a reverence to a guys in a locker room.”
3. Overseeing a one-dimensional offense with linemen dropping like flies, Wentz’s reflection opposite a margin deserved a improved fate. Cousins’ round chain was on-point via a game, heading to a array of large plays to parsimonious ends Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed. It’s easy to see because left tackle Trent Williams recently warned Cousins to be clever with his “$200 million” shoulder. Since a unsatisfactory opening in a deteriorate opener, Cousins has been one of a league’s many fit passers. Considering a changed small assistance he’s perceived from his wideouts, a singular Reed and an unsuitable belligerent attack, Cousins stays in line for a grievous compensate day in 2018.
4. Even with a lapse of second-year energy behind Rob Kelley, a Redskins showed meagre certainty in their using game, quite in short-yardage situations. On a approach behind to a sketch board, a coaching staff should tip a self-evident top to an Eagles invulnerability that has hold 5 uninterrupted opponents to 80 or fewer rushing yards for a initial time given a star-studded 1992 outfit terrorized opponents.
5. Replaced in a starting lineup by Josh Doctson, Redskins big-ticket free-agent merger Terrelle Pryor spent a bulk of a initial 3 buliding on a sideline. After functioning as Cousins’ No. 1 receiver in a initial 5 games, Pryor didn’t see his initial aim until 5 mins into a fourth quarter. As earnest as Doctson competence be in his possess right, a puzzling Pryor is too gifted to be left out of a design going forward.
6. As a blow to Pryor’s disintegrating act, Reed brought a china backing to Washington’s aerial attack. Dogged by toe, shoulder and chest injuries via a initial 6 weeks, Reed finally flashed glimpses of his 2016 Pro Bowl form en track to a span of touchdowns. He should enter subsequent week’s matchup with a Cowboys as healthy as he’s been all season.
7. Perhaps a NFL’s many uncannily effective screen-pass dilettante given Pierre Thomas, fugitive Redskins scatback Chris Thompson has been one of a many valuable receiving threats in a league. The extraordinary block of Cousins’ flitting conflict is on gait for a towering 976 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns from scrimmage.