A summation of a transformation on Day 5 on Thusday during a French Open in Paris, including results, tweets, prohibited shots, photos and more.
• No. 1 Novak Djokovic kept his query for his initial French Open pretension alive on Thursday, violence Belgian Steve Darcis 7–5, 6–3, 6–4 to allege to a third round. With a win, a Serb assimilated Roger Federer and Serena Williams as usually a third actor in a Open Era to record 50 wins during all 4 majors.
• The compare was adult and down though No. 8-seed Timea Bacsinszky was means to better Eugenie Bouchard 6–4, 6–4 to advance. The Swiss trailed 1-4, won 10 true games, afterwards mislaid 4 true before shutting out a win. Bouchard roughly fought behind in a second set to turn it during 5-all, though spontaneous errors kept her from ascent a comeback.
“My diversion indeed feels good. My shots feel good. My transformation feels good. So we consider it hurts a bit some-more meaningful we can play unequivocally good right now,” Bouchard pronounced after a match. “But we know it’s a prolonged routine and a prolonged journey. When we restarted operative with Nick, we talked about a long-term plan.
“I like to contend tennis is 90% mental. A lot of things in life are unequivocally mental….So I’m kind of on this trail to try to get it to be my extraordinary strength again like it was in a past. The mind is like a muscle. You got to work it out. (Smiling.) So that’s what we been perplexing to do. Doesn’t always work out on a compare court, though solemnly though certainly hopefully it will.”
Two-time Roland Garros quarterfinalist Carla Suarez Navarro also advanced, violence Qiang Wang 6-1, 6-3 in a initial compare of a day on Court 2. Suarez Navarro will subsequent face Dominika Cibulkova, who kick Ana Konjuh 6-4, 3-6, 6-0.
Kazakhstan’s Yulia Putintseva knocked out No. 28-seed and 2015 Roland Garros semifinalist Andrea Petkovic 6–2, 6–2 on Thursday. Looking forward in a draw, a feisty Putintseva has a plain possibility to advance: She’ll face Karin Knapp in a third turn and if she wins, will face a leader of Suarez Navarro-Cibulkova.
• After losing a initial dual games, nine-time Roland Garros champion Rafael Nadal steadied himself to a gentle win over Facundo Bagnis 6–3, 6–0, 6–3. The feat noted his 200th Grand Slam win in his career, pulling him to eighth on a all-time list.
“Each year is different. Things keep on changing. We have a new story to write,” Nadal pronounced after a compare when asked about his feelings now compared to a past dual years. “The usually thing we know is that we have reached turn No. 3. That’s a usually thing that matters for me, and what we know is we have to play during a unequivocally high turn in sequence to go deep. That’s my solitary objective, usually reality. The other is small speculation. And that’s not something we like.”
• No. 7-seed Tomas Berdych degraded Malek Jaziri 6–1, 2–6, 6–2, 6–4 to strech a third round, where he’ll Pablo Cuevas, who kick Frenchman Quentin Halys 7-6, 6-3, 7-6 on Thursday.
• 2008 Roland Garros champion and No. 14-seed Ana Ivanovic modernized to a third turn on Wednesday with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Kurumi Nara. Awaits leader of Svitolina-Townsend.
“I worked a lot in a gym and on justice in a final few months. we consider a tragedy that we felt via my matches didn’t concede me to pierce as giveaway as we wanted to,” Ivanovic pronounced after a match. “Today we unequivocally attempted to welcome that, and usually to pierce like we can, like we do in practice. That helped me, generally in a tough earthy compare like today.”
• More important results: Ernests Gulbis kick Joao Sousa 6-2, 7-5, 6-3; Roberto Bautista Agut d. Paul-Henri Mathieu 7-6, 6-4, 6-1; Dominic Thiem kick Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 7-5, 6-4, 7-6; Pauline Parmentier kick Irina Falconi 6-3, 6-1; Aljaz Bedene d. Pablo Carreno Busta 7-6, 6-3, 4-6, 5-7, 6-2; Karin Knapp d. Anastasija Sevastova 6-3, 6-4; Kiki Bertens d. Camila Giorgi 6-4, 6-1
Hot shots of a Day
Tweets of a Day
Nadal has won his 5 sets this week in 144m
— Jon Wertheim (@jon_wertheim) May 26, 2016
Quote of a Day
Q. It is your final contest as a Miss, we think? You played unequivocally good in this tournament. Can we tell us something —
ANA IVANOVIC: About?
Q. About a wedding.
ANA IVANOVIC: What?
THE MODERATOR: Next question.
The Day in Photos
Daily Data Viz
Each day, SI and IBM will move you data-driven infographics based on a tip storylines and stats from Roland Garros. Click a picture to perspective a graphic.
This post will be updated.