Inside Baseball news and records from all 15 National League teams.
- The presentation of Robbie Ray as a co-ace is outrageous in their ascension. Ray was a collect here on my list of players who seemed to be on a fork of stardom nonetheless not all a picks incited out as great.
- Randall Delgado has hired Dan Lozano to paint him rather than go with Rafa Nieves, who went to Wasserman.
- In a suggestion of Jeff Passan essay about Mr. Irrelevant Jeff Passantino, who was a 1,125th and final collect of a MLB draft, a lefty pitcher out of Lipscomb University, we am hereby tracking a swell of awaiting Grant Heyman, D-backs prospect. Someone recently asked presumably we are related, nonetheless when they pronounced he has power, we answered, “Then no.”
- The Braves could try to pierce a returning star Freddie Freeman to third bottom to accommodate a prolific pickup Matt Adams. Freeman hasn’t played third for some-more than 10 years says a Braves insider, who nonetheless didn’t sequence it out, during slightest not entirely. Seems laboured to me, though.
- Whatever happens, a Adams understanding has worked wonders as a quickie deputy who’s roughly replicated Freeman’s energy in his absence.
- The Braves are going to a six-man rotation, that seems to be partly an try to keep Bartolo Colon and R.A. Dickey starting to give them a possibility to be traded.
- Sean Newcomb has looked good in a early going. He was called adult after a approaching death of super dual status, so he’ll save them a few dollars, too.
- Ender Inciarte, adult over .300, continues to rake.
- The Cubs reached out to Johnny Cueto dual years ago before determining to save a tiny income and pointer aged crony John Lackey. So Cueto competence be one to keep an eye on for them.
- The demotion of Kyle Schwarber was a right pierce and should kick-start him. He’s a many improved hitter than he’s shown.
- The Cubs “really miss” David Ross, says one Cubs person. They won a World Series with a likewise immature team. But knowledge wouldn’t hurt.
- Rizzo is off to an surprising start as a lead-off hitter. He homered his initial dual games and reached bottom his initial seven.
- The emanate stays that there isn’t a loyal cleanup hitter to bat behind Bryant, who has unexpected strike a singular slump.
- Jake Arrieta’s quickness is a parasite up, nonetheless he’s carrying difficulty removing out of a fifth inning in new starts.
- One of a Cubs’ problems is how inhuman they’ve been with runners in scoring position. They have an MLB misfortune .228 normal with runners in scoring position.
- The tip Cubs homer hitters by 33 games: Bob Speake 10 (1955), Ian Happ 9 (2017), Mandy Brooks 9 (1925), around Christopher Kamka.
- Top outfield awaiting Eloy Jimenez drew Roy Hobbs comparisons when he knocked a light out with a vast expostulate in a home run derby in a Carolina League All-Star Game.
- Rizzo’s “slide” into Austin Hedges was clearly outward a comparatively new rule, as MLB chastisement potentate Joe Torre told him. Joe Maddon done some ardent nonetheless wrong remarks on WSCR. The theory here is Maddon contingency not like a new rule. Anyway, with his visit griping, he’s not a favorite in MLB domicile during a moment.
- The Reds have been awaiting to pointer No. 2 altogether collect Hunter Greene to a understanding for about a container (close to $7.2 million) nonetheless Greene has valid a tiny worse than a other players in a tip 5 so far. Apparently, it appears a holdup is that he’d like to be a tip paid draftee this year after unwell to turn a initial prep righty pitcher to go initial overall, and they competence be watchful to see where No. 4 altogether collect Brendan McKay, a 1B/LHP, falls before finalizing a Greene/Reds deal. McKay, a Reds’ second choice (they favourite him as a pitcher), is approaching to get tighten to $7.1 million, somewhat some-more than a stream high figure of $7 million for No. 5 altogether pick, Kyle Wright, a Vanderbilt right hander. A vast series of people saw Greene as a many gifted actor in a draft, and a Reds seem fair to profitable him a tip bonus, with some stipulations of course. But it appears a sides competence wait to see accurately what McKay receives. Greene was No. 1 on Baseball America’s ranking, as good as Keith Law’s and several others. McKay is approaching to determine shortly after his Louisville organisation presumably wins a College World Series or is eliminated, that should lead to Greene’s signing. There have been reports suggesting McKay will get anywhere between $7 million and $7.5 million, nonetheless sources advise it’ll be in a $7.1-million range. Greene has a grant offer from UCLA, nonetheless everybody believes he will sign, and it’s tough to see a pitcher who tighten it down in April, pitching as an delinquent pledge when he will get $7-plus million as a No. 2 altogether pick. Greene is a unequivocally good deferential immature male who told me during a draft, “I wouldn’t skip this for a world.” So presumably that goes for pro baseball, too, not usually a draft.
- The Reds have container deals with Jeter Downs, a SS out of Miami Gardens, and Stuart Fairchild, a Wake Forest outfielder, who are both intensely rarely regarded. Jeter, distinct his name sake, is a compress kid. More importantly, he’s seen as a glorious hitter. They’ll try him during shortstop, nonetheless some could see him switching to second bottom or third. Fairchild is an glorious speed/power guy.
- Well, it’s surprising Bronson Arroyo came behind during all (coincidentally, Wily Mo Pena, a one he was famously traded for, didn’t make it behind in a quip try with a Indians this spring, notwithstanding being many younger). But he didn’t tip 83 mph in his final start and certified in a new talk before going on a DL, that he competence have started his final diversion in a majors. If so, it’s still been utterly a career.
- Zack Cozart was heading NL All-Star opinion getters during shortstop before going out with a quad injury. Corey Seager has a subsidy of some in a Dodgers media and will approaching pass him.
- The Rockies are personification implausible ball right now. Their bland organisation looks unequivocally talented, their revolution plain and their coop deep. Kudos to GM Jeff Bridich, and also to ex-GM Dan O’Dowd, now of MLB Network. O’Dowd took lots of hits while there nonetheless many of these players were his, including a whole revolution solely Jeff Hoffman who came in a Tulo trade.
- Scouting executive Bill Schmidt has done a lot of good picks. Former No. 1 picks Tyler Anderson and Kyle Freeland are doing good in a rotation, and another former No. 1 Jon Gray, will be entrance behind sincerely soon. With Gray and Chad Bettis approaching to waken a revolution in a second half, they are in quite good shape. Director of pitching Mark Wiley also gets a large bullion star in what’s not an easy pursuit in Colorado.
- The Rockies have a large participation in Latin America, with a successful academy in Boca Chica, D.R., too. Rolando Fernandez gets credit for a Antonio Senzatela signing (and others).
- Bridich done a pierce of a winter, that was to pointer closer Greg Holland, who has been zero brief of brilliant.
- Joe West umpired his 5,000th diversion during Denver. And while there are worse things, this isn’t indispensably a unapproachable impulse for MLB. He’s flattering good on balls and strikes, nonetheless he will be improved remembered as an courtesy seeker.
- They competence have had their signature moment, that walk-off homer that finished a cycle for luminary Nolan Arenado. we gamble a Rockies’ chances to keep Arenado long-term have been extended by their shining beginning.
- Ex-Rockies exec Bill Geivett wrote a unequivocally entertaining, ominous book, “So we wish to work in Baseball?” Geivett, a longtime partner GM of a Rox, was one of a unequivocally tiny series deliberate when a Astros hired Jeff Luhnow as GM.
Los Angeles Dodgers
- Cody Bellinger is a clever early MVP candidate, that means we could have dual MVPs who are rookies for a initial time, with Aaron Judge a heading contender in a AL. Bellinger became a second rookie to strike 19 home runs in his initial 50 games after Judge’s teammate Gary Sanchez. You have to go behind to Wally Berger in 1930 to find another rookie to strike 18 that fast. But Bellinger was fast on to 22.
- Bellinger’s father Clay, incidentally, had 12 career homers.
- With a grant of Bellinger, a former fourth-round collect who sealed for $700,000, has made, it’s usually wise a Dodgers used a 39th rounder on Logan White Jr., son of a team’s former scouting executive who done that preference (Logan White Sr. is now with a Padres.
- Not certain given Yasiel Puig wants to suffer a one-game cessation for flipping dual birds concurrently during a fan who was heckling him. As Tim Flannery of MLB Network forked out, he substantially deserves dual games, for a dual birds.
- By a way, there was zero wrong with Puig’s home run greeting vs. a Mets, no matter what Mets players thought. Puig was glorious there.
- Chase Utley looks like he can still play.
- Chris Taylor has achieved like an All-Star.
- Josh Fields had what Mike DiGiovanna of a Los Angeles Time called “a fast descent” after a demotion following 7 warranted runs in 5 outings following a season-starting widen of one run in 22 outings.
- While his stats are flattering identical to his major-league career, one director says he thinks Clayton Kershaw is down a half a notch.
- Bruce strike his third home run off Clayton Kershaw, fasten a name organisation that includes Buster Posey, Troy Tulowitzki and Chris Denorfia. Adam Dunn is a usually one who strike four, surmising given he was a maladroit hitter.
- I done a new outing to L.A., and enjoyed a busman’s holiday. Dodger Stadium is each bit as pleasing as ever.
- The Dodgers picked adult Peter O’Brien, a immature energy hitter who’s been picked adult by clearly everyone. There needs to be some arrange of sequence to forestall this kind of flitting around of players. For now can’t censure a teams.
- Derek Jeter is pronounced to be looking for income still to buy a Marlins as a cost is believed to be dropping with a Marlins losing money.
- The Nats are pronounced not to have A.J. Ramos during a tip of their list, nonetheless they should unequivocally re-consider. They competence demeanour during him as something of a repertoire form pitcher, nonetheless he strike 96 opposite them Monday (while throwing some-more pitches in a 70s than a 80s or 90s). Still, he has it in him.
- Marcell Ozuna is certainly All-Star estimable and was adult to 5th in OF voting in a NL, that is considerable deliberation a miss of fans in Miami.
- Ozuna, Giancarlo Stanton (who certainly has to make it, generally with a diversion in Miami) and Justin Bour all had 18 home runs. And Bour, who has a .600 slugging percentage, had a T-shirt that says “I wish Abs. But we wish donuts more,” that was featured on Jessica Blaylock’s Twitter account.
- Jose Urena usually done a Marlins given he was out of options, nonetheless he’s been their many constant starter, with 4 loyal wins.
- The Brewers, one of baseball’s best surprises, could demeanour to do a tiny buying, with a coop maybe inaugural in mind. But a Brewers have a good list of prospects and immature players that if they aren’t untouchable, they are substantially tighten (technically, they are not, as Brewers GM David Stearns has a no-untouchable rule); they embody Josh Hader, Lewis Brinson, Lucas Erceg, Corey Ray, Isan Diaz, Luis Ortiz and Brandon Woodruff.
- Woodruff suffered an hapless injury, pulling a hamstring while stretching before his initial scheduled big-league start.
- The Brewers have mixed glorious OF prospects, and one director likens Ray to Ray Lankford.
- Jimmy Nelson gets credit for modifying his mechanics while in a large leagues (with a assistance of pitching manager Derek Johnson).
- The trade for Travis Shaw is one of a best of a winter. Shaw was a aim of Milwaukee’s from a start of a winter. What’s more, they also perceived Mauricio Dubon, a glorious shortstop awaiting who’s attack .300, and dual others in that understanding for Tyler Thornburg.
- Coach Pat Murphy was behind a Eric Sogard acquisition. Murphy had Sogard as a actor during ASU. And so distant Sogard is attack about as good as he did during ASU, batting .351.
- Eric Thames suffered by a severe May when he had a stretched hamstring and a bruise throat nonetheless is behind on his large diversion in June.
- Ryan Braun’s damage is lingering.
- Tom Wilhelmsen is a good pickup for a Brew Crew. He was creatively drafted by Milwaukee, and during one time welcomed behind by them, as mlbtraderumors.com forked out, nonetheless he has nonetheless to play for them.
- The Brewers sealed first-round collect UC-Irvine 2B Keston Hiura, who they trust was a tip attack collegiate actor in a draft.
New York Mets
- The guessing diversion has begun as to given a Mets don’t call adult surprising awaiting Amed Rosario his value. They’ve pronounced it’s given they wish to make certain he’s adult to stay once they call him up. But 1) that isn’t a good excuse, and 2) in all likelihood, he would be adult to stay.
- Jose Reyes during this point, while dear by a Mets classification (and unequivocally approaching a biggest shortstop in organisation history), unequivocally isn’t a unequivocally good shortstop during this point. He also has a league-worst disastrous 1.1 WAR.
- Jay Bruce has stayed hot, and has 19 home runs.
- Happy Bobby Bonilla Day. It’s entrance Jul 1, when Bonilla is paid $1.19 million by a Mets, who during a time miscalculated how good their outward investments were. Bonilla competence have been their second misfortune investment, as it turns out.
- Adding an insult to all their injuries, a Dodgers pushed behind All-Star estimable Alex Wood to start opposite a Rockies rather than make a Thursday start vs. a Mets. It’s some-more about local rivalries of course. But still.
- Jeremy Hellickson pitched another good game, nonetheless his trade value is kept down by dual factors 1) unexceptional velocity, and 2) an well-developed income ($17.2 million).
- Pat Neshek has been terrific, and should pull poignant interest.
- The Phillies had a double DFA, vouchsafing go of maestro OF Michael Saunders and maestro reliever Jeanmar Gomez. Saunders had a .617 OPS, nearby a bottom in a league. He was an All-Star final year. They attempted to get Jay Bruce before holding Saunders, and that would have worked out many better.
- They resisted job adult large prospects Nick Williams or Dylan Cozens to reinstate Saunders. Adam Haseley, a No. 8 collect altogether out of a University of Virginia, sealed for $5.1 million, according to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com. He’s an jaunty sort. Hard to see a organisation with Pat Gillick, Andy MacPhail and Terry Ryan imperfect on a initial pick.
- Andrew McCutchen has done himself tradeable with a new prohibited strain that’s done his numbers important (8 homers, 23 RBI, .400 given relocating to a No. 6 hole in June). And Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that he believes McCutchen could simply be dealt. That creates sense, as he’s lifted his trade value and Austin Meadows should get a full shot.
- Josh Harrison has been their many unchanging descent actor and should be an All-Star candidate.
- Reliever Tony Watson is a trade candidate.
- Jameson Taillon is apropos one of a some-more heartwarming stories of a year.
St. Louis Cardinals
- What a Cardinals unequivocally could use is a power-hitting third baseman who could strike third or fourth. There have been some Todd Frazier rumors, nonetheless Josh Donaldson is unequivocally a ideal fit – if there’s any approach a Jays would even cruise trade him. The Cardinals don’t have a loyal 3 or 4 hitter, and in fact, their tip dual home run hitters are their Nos. 1 and 2 hitters in a lineup – Matt Carpenter and Dexter Fowler (who now has tied final year’s sum with 13). For what it’s worth, GM John Mozeliak always had good exchange with Mark Shapiro when he was with a Indians (but as stipulated, it’s a prolonged shot).
- For all a courtesy their invulnerability gets, they hadn’t done an blunder given Jun 10.
- The Cardinals hadn’t scored some-more than 4 runs in an inning all year, until putting adult a 7 mark in a 11th inning to tip Philly 8-1.
- Jhonny Peralta, recently expelled by a Cardinals, needs to get in figure to have a possibility to get back. Hardly anyone suspicion a four-year understanding for Peralta was a good thought when a Cardinals concluded to it, nonetheless it wasn’t bad for awhile. This final year he is to make $10 million, however.
San Diego Padres
- Yangervis Solarte should have some trade value, with his 10 home runs and reasonable contract.
- The slip of Anthony Rizzo into Austin Hedges was a tiny too assertive from here. Hedges seems to have given Rizzo adequate of a lane, and a new sequence was designed to forestall these arrange of things from happening.
- Zach Lee was recently DFA’ed. The former high-bonus No. 1 collect of a Dodgers usually hasn’t shown a things to mangle out of a “marginal starter” tab in new years. He chose a Dodgers over LSU quarterback. A former No. 1 collect of a Padres Donovan Tate, after unwell as an outfielder, is perplexing to turn a college QB during a University of Arizona now.
San Francisco Giants
- They have played their approach out of a race, notwithstanding carrying a lot of good names and stuffing what seemed to be their biggest hole over a winter. A sale is in sequence nonetheless rivals see usually a “limited” sale. “They’ll keep their core together,” one opposition GM predicts.
- One opposition says he expects Eduardo Nunez and presumably Matt Cain (if they can pierce him) to presumably be a border of a sale. (Nunez looks like a nearby certainty to go from here).
- Johnny Cueto has value, nonetheless appropriation teams could be leery about holding someone with an opt out after a year. An opt out creates holding him dicey (it’s not approaching nonetheless if he gets hurt, a acquirer would be stranded with an $84-million bill). Jeff Samardzija looks overpriced, and Matt Moore has been inconsistent. In any case, a Giants, MLB’s many successful organisation this decade is in an surprising place.
- Cueto is approaching to opt out, nonetheless he’ll listen to any prolongation talks a Giants wish to have.
- Madison Bumgarner is throwing unnatural games.
- It would have been tough to envision what a disaster a Giants deteriorate has become.
- The Nationals are eyeing intensity closers, both common suspects and some new faces.
- Even Nats people have been vacant by their offense.
- Max Scherzer is behest to win a third Cy Young and is heading a NL with 134 strikeouts, a 3.5 WAR and 0.84 WHIP. There are those observant he is rivaling Clayton Kershaw for best pitcher in a league, including Brian Kenny of MLB Network. OK, he competence be a usually one. But it isn’t a terrible case, and maybe if we usually used a usually dual years, a box can be made.
- Every day, there’s some-more justification it seems that a Nats need to waken that bullpen.
Leave a Reply