• Senator Jeff Flake, Republican of Arizona, a sole uncertain opinion on a Judiciary Committee, announced this morning that he dictated to support Judge Kavanaugh.
• He voted to allege Judge Kavanaugh’s assignment to a full Senate. But he pronounced that unless that final opinion was behind for a F.B.I. investigation, he would not opinion to confirm.
• His call for a check was permitted by another uncertain Republican, Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, and a red-state Democrat, Senator Joe Manchin III of West Virginia.
What happens next?
• Late this afternoon, President Trump systematic a F.B.I. to launch an review that would be “limited in scope” and “completed in reduction than one week.”
• Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, a infancy leader, will establish when to reason a final acknowledgment vote. Republican senators pronounced they were assured a group could make discerning work, and that a Senate could be voting as early as subsequent Tuesday.
In a Opinion pages
Long before there was ever an op-ed section, there were clever opinions about politics. For many of journal history, they were segregated in their possess small box. Now everybody with a Twitter comment has an opinion to share. Or six.